Thread: Odd Day
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hanna

It sounds like things are going pretty good with them, actually. What about you?

I realized earlier this year that I frequently gauged my own happiness on how everyone else in my family is doing. I'd do a quick inventory of each person and their current state and if anything was wrong I was unhappy. If everything seemed okay with them I might be okay, but who knows. I wasn't that concerned with how I was really doing. My internal dialogue said "If only they would be okay, I could be okay." I didn't think I could ever be truly at peace because of their chaos. I was blaming them for my lack of peace, failing to take responsibility for my own emotions, 100% dependent upon the behavior of others for my own true happiness. And at any given time someone in our family is going through difficulties. And thanks to my Dad, inventory manager in chief, if there was a problem with anyone on the planet, even complete strangers, he would be sure to let me know about it. It's his primary focus, actually.

I now realize that there are other people in the family like me and I'm a key player in their internal happiness monitor. I never realized before that when I was going through difficulties, they are worried and sad. They were worried about me because I was worried about someone else. What a mess!!!

Maybe instead you should do something really good for yourself. That would absolutely be money well spent. With a big bonus: If anyone that loves you is like me and you, they will be ecstatic to hear that you are happy and having fun!