View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  
dorothyparker

Hello everyone,

It was my birthday Saturday and it was the first time ever since I'm 17 that I didn't drink on my B/D. It was also one of my best birthday, except that today, I've been unbearably sad but I have always had the SUnday blues, I just drank to drown them before. A lot of people have been saying I didn't have that much of a problem but they weren't with me when I drank my bottle of wine alone every day the last 6 months before I stopped.

I think it's normal that we have sadness at 90 days. We're happy about our progress, yet, the more stable we are becoming, the more definitive the NO alcohol is, so I guess that it makes us a tad sad, it was after all, a good (false) friend for many years...

So yes, it's been over 100 days and yes, I'm sad about it too but I'm happier than sad.

It's funny Dee you mentioned PAWS because after my family dinner where I was having a hard time not drinking, I came home and drank, yes from the bottle, some molasses. I was having a huge sugar craving. I know it's because I was compensating for the craving of alcohol and it made me think I should read up on PAWS. I quite like this link too:
Why We Don’t Get Better Immediately: Post-acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) | What...Me Sober?

I did a absolutely no carbs diet for 8 weeks and it helped greatly but I still think I need the occasional sugar fix to help with the cravings so once a day, I allow myself 1 dark chocolate square or one candy, or one tablespoon of maple syrup. And it seems to be doing the trick. I gather that these sugar cravings will diminish with time...WIll they ?

Hope everyone is feeling fine. and good luck on your wild goose chase for those who have been hunting.

DP