View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HitRockBottom

Robby,
In the spirit of this thread, can you speak to your experience of letting things go and how it relates to AVRT and the beast. I really can see some similarities although I am not very good at wording my thoughts. I have come to believe that "The Beast" is part of a larger set of voices that tell me I am not good enough, not smart enough, etc.
There is no "letting go" requirement, or advantage realized with the act of letting go, within AVRT proper, is my experience. As well, the Beast or IT, and its Addictive Voice is purely consistent with the desire, and only with that same desire, for drinking of alcohol for IT's pleasure.

Originally Posted by HiRockBottom

Learning to recognize this part (that is not me) but is trying to run me seems key to my recovery. I was on a thread the other day and Lovetosail suggested "The Power of Now" audio version. I loved the idea of listening to it while driving or when I can't read. You and Received also gave it high praises, so I downloaded it. Through chapter 1 at this point and it's great.

I am still confused though. It also seems that my use of AVRT in the past has been a struggle about control...One which made me very proud and happy because I was winning. Moving forward with my recovery, I am realizing there is a lot more work to do. Maybe the "I" that is controlling is the real problem. Maybe this needs to go too and be replaced with an AVRT that accepts and lets go. I hope my rambling thoughts are somewhat understandable...
My experiences with practicing AVRT are not "recovery experiences" since with AVRT there is nothing to recover from, exactly. AVRT is simply about lifelong permanent abstinence from drinking alcohol, and nothing else. Everything after quitting is just your personal choices going forward as a non-drinker while practicing AVRT.

HRB, my understanding is you want to continue FORWARD with PERSONAL recovery EXPERIENCES from alcoholism, as an alcoholic, correct? As you know, I'm a recovered alcoholic myself.

Sorry for the questions, but I already assumed I knew whatever enough about some other questions by other persons who posted seeking my opinion/advice, and I'll not make that mistake, in this thread anyways, again.

Of course, you can rest easy knowing I understand your questions, no problemo, because I can easily relate to your stated experiences.

So, we have half-an answer so far. My apologies for my being careful, lol. I hope you understand. I'm of course ready to give my deeper experiences with your questions, based on are you in recovery or not?

Thanks for the questions, and yes, they are totally within the spirit of this thread.

Thanks.