View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

Stewart, you have come to the right place to hear about this Addictive Voice, and what we can accomplish it by recognizing it, and being mindful of it. The idea is nothing new, especially to eastern sensibilities, but the concepts around cognitive approaches to urges and desires are new to many western minds.

The source for this idea as AVRT is an enterprise called Rational Recovery, conceived of and operated by a social worker and addiction counselor named Jack Trimpey. You can visit their website and take the Crash Course on AVRT there.

SR has a long discussion on AVRT, most graciously moved near the top of the front page here, and it will give you a good understanding of what the idea means and how it can be distilled into a recovery technique.

Nonsensical, the scenario you described would mean death to me and it sounds as though you are permitting this fantasy to roll around in your noggin. I won't invite my AV in for a conversation. When it knocks at the door, I see who it is, smile in recognition, shut the door, and get back to what I was busy doing and enjoying.

Why is your AV presenting this scenario that is completely nonsensical? Maybe it has been defeated by your awareness at every twist and turn and is now resorting to the absurd. It will try anything it can, and what you have described is not unheard of, so maybe it sees this as a possibility.