View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
HitRockBottom70

Originally Posted by SoberKnitter View Post
... The beast has absolutely no power over me. It is very, very small.
...I don't think characterizing it as a battle is helpful. Why battle? IMHO, it's enough to just acknowledge that it's the AV. Once seen for what it is, it can't get you to do anything that you don't want to.
SK, You are right about the AV having no power over us. It requires only inaction to overcome in most circumstances. In my 11 months I have had times, which I can count on one hand which it became a battle and required action. My actions were exercise, eating and reaching out to my SR friends. Really, early on, I had decided I would do whatever it took to never drink again because it was a battle for my life, which I nearly lost last year 11 months ago. I was ready to kill myself. Yeah it was the lowest point in my life.

I do believe these battles will no longer come after a time, and yes I realize calling it a battle gives it more power. But calling it that allowed me to be ready with things other than inaction to keep myself sober. I hope this helps you understand my use of the term battle.