View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

Yup. Thanks.

I am learning to be mindful (if I am using that term appropriately) of certain situations that are my memory cues for drinking/beast activity. For example, all my life beer has been the reward for hard work. I have a cushy desk job, but on weekends I roll up the sleeves and build, rake, mow, etc. All day I would look forward to that beer at the end of a long hard day. Of course, we all know where that would lead me...to SR!

Anyway, that's all gone now, and never to be again. So, now when I am about to embark on some physical labor I will start mentally preparing myself for the beast. I remind myself that he will be coming, so be prepared. Sometimes I even pre-emptively remind IT of the BP. Then throughout the day I remind IT again.

I think it helps me stay positive to have a plan, or at least a proper frame of mind, for the times I know the beast will start his endless chatter.

Endnote:
Being sober and reflecting on the day's labor has been more interesting and rewarding than getting sh!tfaced as a reward. I also tend to get more done. I work a little later if I'm not knocking off early to get to that beer.