Old 04-10-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Gforce23

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
G...you are absolutely right. Since you can't lobotomize (and that would cut out some other good necessary stuff anyway) you've figured out that you CAN separate from the part that wants to drink and make it "not you". This is very effective for the purpose of quitting. It's easy to recognize that side that's bugging you to drink, and just say "STFU..you're ideas are always dumb...NO" and go on about your day doing cool sh*t like mountain biking and playin guitar and being a mom and making new friends on the trail.....
Yeah Soberlicious,

That's what I keep doing. Fortunately, the day I decided to quit I was in X-TRA strength bad shape, so it's still pretty easy for me to drum up that memory when I need something to counter act all the other "but it would be so great" malarkey.

Speaking of guitar Clearlight: I noticed you said that you haven't played yours in a while--me neither. My callouses are gone, and stuff I worked so hard to nail, is eluding me again. I hate it when I put the thing down for a while. I was really prioritized playing for a couple of years, and now that I'm mountain biking and all the rest, my playing and my sewing/clothes making has fallen by the wayside. HOWEVER, I am going to pick up my Takemine today, and see if I can't learn to bang out Bob Marely's "Waiting in Vain," because it's a beautiful song, and since I heard it the other day, I can't stop walkin' around singing it! So, one of these days, I may start a new thread, called "Cafe ala Gforce," and post video's of me performing songs. I thought that would be fun, because I can't actually see any of you to wonder if you are thinking that I suck.

Anyway, I'm spring cleaning the house today, and thinking through my next chapter in not drinking. I was glad that I coincidentally talked to my old friend who is sober 4 and 1/2 years, and started my new thread today. Thanks for the sober safety net, everyone!

Cheers!