View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Bombshell

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice, it's been very helpful. I'm not going to take the antabuse, and I agree that, although I really respect my doctor, it seems like addictions are not his strong point. He's writing me a letter of referral to a counsellor so that I can go through my private health insurance in work, and I'm going to choose an addiction counsellor. I think that's the best way forward at the moment.

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Regardless of what he said though, only you can make the actual decision to quit -even if he would have recommended cold turkey you'd still have to make the effort to actually do it. What have you decided to do?
I have to admit when he said I could still drink, I felt a conflicting mix of happiness and disappointment inside. I always thought that if I talked to my doctor and he told me to quit, I would, so I was disappointed he didn't say that. At the same time, I thought, yippee, my doctor says I can drink! I must be okay!! I know it's ultimately my decision though and no-one else can make me do it if I'm not ready. And at the moment I'm still finding excuses and reasons why I shouldn't quit entirely. I am my own worst enemy.