View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
wanttobehealthy

To address the "do I have recourse" type of question. No. I am in NH, it's an at will employment state, teachers are not a protected category/class and I am not a minority or disabled etc... with any protections.

At any time in a teachers first 5 years in a district you can be let go for any reason, at any time, without cause, with no explanation and the fact that you might have glowing observations and an impeccable record makes no difference. After 5 years with tenure, teachers have rights.

So, in a time of budget cuts and school districts being run by grants because towns fight taxes and taxes fund the schools, teachers who are high on a pay scale are usually the first to go.

I'm disappointed that my supervisor didn't just do it decently. Why build a case against me, malign me after praising me all year and clearly retaliate because I go to her supervisor only after 7 months of asking her to meet to create a program or approve of my ideas.

It's so blatantly obvious that she retaliated but I have no rights.

I won't fight it, there's no point.

I did email the superintendent as I explained a few posts up but forgot to add that he replied this morning and thanked me for the email and said he would be looking into what was happpening and be back in touch by Monday.

I don't know if that's anything more than diplomacy on his part (though he is a friend of my aunt and uncle and we've had a collegial relationship this year) but nonetheless I appreciate his professionalism in light of how grossly unprofessional my supervisor is.