View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
773niki

I took antabuse before. Many times actually and it never helped me get long term sobriety. Let me just say, 2 bottles of wine a night is not normal. Maybe you are alcoholic. But, if you take an antabuse, you will feel like you will die if you drink on it. I tested the limits, of course, when I was an active drinker and when I was trying to quit for someone else. I would take antabuse every day then plan not to take it for a few days so I can drink over the weekend. Depending on how many you've taken and for how long, you can get a reaction. At my worst point, I took ONE SHOT after having taken antabuse 6 days prior and I was on my bathroom floor, read as a beet, heart pounding out of my chest, sweating profusely, ready to dial 911. I thought I was going to die. I would HIGHLY recommend only taking it if you are 100% serious about not drinking.

HOWEVER< I've been taking another deterrent called Naltrexone for the last 6 months and have remained sober. Longest sober time in 10 years. (I'm a 31 year old female). This med blocks cravings...and if you drink, you don't get drunk. I never tried to drink on it though. But these pills once a day plus AA has helped me TREMENDOUSLY. Antabuse doesn't take away the desire to drink, but Naltrexone plus anti-depressants has helped my depression and anxiety so much and I am soooo happy today! Maybe talk to your doc about this possibility?