View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Being an alcoholic is a belief system in which I do not partake.

While my experimentation into remaining a moderate drinker did not work every time I tried it, and while I knew that I loved the sensations of being high on booze, one reason I made a Big Plan was because I had a particular strength, not a weakness. That strength was being able to indulge in a wonderful deep pleasure that others avoided; and I was able to succeed fairly well at keeping bad things from happening because of it.

But as time passed I found when bad things DID happen, they added up, and they were unacceptable to people around me and my body was beginning to pay a heavy toll.

So the main reason I quit for good was because I finally decided that ANY further drinking (including ANY thoughts or feelings SUPPORTING the idea that I drink) were 100% WRONG - MORALLY REPREHENSIBLE - for ME.

Now, decades later, the moral issue is still in my memory, but it doesn't really matter to me any more why I made the Big Plan. I know it must have been a very good reason or I wouldn't have done it. So I don't care why I will never drink again, and WOW, does that make it super simple. I don't know how it could be made any simpler. I won't let alcohol into my body. What a miniscule, tiny, trivial aspect of my life that is now. (From ten months ago here on SR, my Big Plan for sweets is whittling my sugar Beast down to size very quickly, too).

AVRT will show you how to get there.

What RobbyRobot (who I think, against his own objections, IS a wonderful AA poster-person) calls ignorable rhetoric when AVRT explains about avoiding the Recovery Group Movement (RGM) is actually a free ticket on how to save yourself from a HUGE, INVASIVE, EXPENSIVE, TIME-CONSUMING, GROSSLY LIFE ALTERING, WAY-OF-LIFE IMPOSING NEVER ENDING RECOVERY; DRAGGING OUT THE CORPSE OF THE BEAST AT EVERY MEETING AND PROPPING IT UP TO WORSHIP AS A POWER SO MUCH GREATER THAN THE ALCOHOLIC HUMAN BRAIN. THE RGM has such weird belief systems. (Not quite so weird with an understanding of the history of temperance in the Western world. A sort of Neo-religiosity often co-opts social/moral movements.)

Yes, you can avoid all that, too, and live YOUR life.