View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SoberKnitter

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
So someone with no feelings one way or another about alcohol will naturally wish to be an alcoholic?
Um, no. I was thinking of people who can take it or leave it. They don't make wishes about alcohol, period.

I had a grandmother who was a teetotaler. She wasn't afraid of becoming an alcoholic, but she didn't care to drink moderately either. It just wasn't important to her - she didn't see that it added any value. That is the attitude that I try to foster towards alcohol.

I think that wishing for an alternate universe of any kind is probably not good for one's mental health anyway. Wishing I could drink moderately is like wishing I were taller. It only creates unhappiness.

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
My healthy aversion to (or, rather, avoidance of) alcohol comes from my inability to be a normal drinker. If I didn't have an alcohol addiction why should I avoid, or be averse to, alcohol? There would be no reason for it. I wish that alternate reality existed. I recognize that it does not, and I don't dwell on it. I just enjoy discussing brain functions and the art/science of AVRT. I learned a little, and I want to learn more.
You are obviously the arbiter of what gets attributed to the AV and what doesn't in your own mind. I suppose if your Big Plan is solid enough you could feel free to stop even trying to distinguish what's you and what's your AV, but that isn't using AVRT, that's using mere willpower.