View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 01:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Wishing you could drink moderately is wishing that you could...um...drink...alcohol. It's AV.
My brain isn't processing this the same way. It seems very strange to me that it's considered a dangerous thought that I wish I wasn't addicted to alcohol.
Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
That's because you recognize these thoughts for what they are...they are not things you would actually do...
I won't actually drink, either.

Originally Posted by SoberKnitter
"I wish I were a normal drinker" implies that drinking can be a positive experience for some people...
It can
, and that I, too, would like to have a positive experience with alcohol.
I would like that. It isn't possible, but I wish it were.
Someone with no feelings one way or the other about alcohol doesn't wish to be a normal drinker.
So someone with no feelings one way or another about alcohol will naturally wish to be an alcoholic?
Someone with a healthy aversion to alcohol certainly doesn't.
My healthy aversion to (or, rather, avoidance of) alcohol comes from my inability to be a normal drinker. If I didn't have an alcohol addiction why should I avoid, or be averse to, alcohol? There would be no reason for it. I wish that alternate reality existed. I recognize that it does not, and I don't dwell on it. I just enjoy discussing brain functions and the art/science of AVRT. I learned a little, and I want to learn more.