Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 10:59 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  
SoberKnitter

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
No one person or interpretation speaks for AA. We each can safely and without penalty have our own way of experiencing the AA program.
Obviously everyone's individual experience of anything is particular to each person, but it's the articulation of your experience that is confusing.

Identifying with an organization brings with it some fair assumptions. You say you are a Christian, so it's fair to assume that you have some basic beliefs best summed up in the Nicene Creed. I'm a member of a vegan organization, so it's fair to assume that I don't eat meat. Labeling your sobriety "AA sobriety" brings assumptions as well - or else why the label - but you seem to take issue with any that are expressed.

For example, I still don't think you've plainly stated, if you've stated it at all, what the H-E-double-hockey-sticks distinguishes "AA sobriety" from regular old sobriety! All this talk of individual experiences that can't be articulated and undefinable aspects only serve to muddy the already nearly opaque waters.

I guess it comes down to this: What you are doing works for you and you are happy with it, you quit drinking, you have "AA sobriety" as opposed to mere sobriety resulting from quitting, but you can't clearly say what you are doing or what "AA sobriety" is. Do you understand how this might be a tad confusing?