Old 04-07-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
wanttobehealthy

OT: How to diplomatically address concerns about my boss

At the urging of a number of seasoned veterans at my job, I've decided to set up an appt with my Superintendent about concerns regarding my direct boss.

In typical insecure fashion I've spent most of this year thinking I wasn't doing things right, wasn't asking the right questions or explaining my approach clearly enough and that it was my doing that she was constantly ignoring very significant (and pressing) issues that had to be addressed, ignoring requests to meet to develop a plan of action for several students (I had been told I HAD to have her there to change their IEP's but she refused to meet), undermining me right in front of students etc...

I've tried to be the perfect employee and go above and beyond and well, all that's happened is I've been treated worse.

But I didn't really see it too clearly until several other staff pointed out that they had already met with the Superintendent over similar concerns and encouraged me too as well.

I dragged my feet doing so because I think she will be angry that I am going over her head and I am new at my job, dont have tenure and my state is an at will employment state so I can be let go despite being good at what I do "just because" and never have to be given a reason. My supervisor is the one who recomends whether I return or not.

I have grown alarmed in the past month with how grossly distorted her emails to me about "concerns" she has had with my performance have become. She is building a case it seems and it's based on nothing.

I was given credit rather than her in Dec for a manual I had shared with the district that I'd created in a prior job and was happy to share. It was a training thing. My boss tried to pass it off as hers and was called out on it by someone from the Dept of Ed who was meeting with us and knew it was mine. THAT is when the passive aggressive animosity started with my boss and now I worry my job is on the line.

So, I am meeting with my Superintendent on Tuesday and have a list of my concerns and how my hands have been tied this year because of a lack of cooperation from my bosss. I just don't know how to approach the conversation.

I am not confrontational and try to please people vs stand up for myself. I am afraid that I will seem like I am being a jerk for complaining and am totally at a loss as to how to approach this conversations.

My colleagues who've met with the Superintendent already have been in the district a few years and have tenure so there's less at risk for them.

I feel like it's in my best interest to let him know the truth or at least "my side" since it appears my boss is painting a pretty inaccurate picture.

But how I handle myself in the meeting and how I express my concerns without sounding pissed off (which I am) is beyond me.

Any advice????