Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  
SoberKnitter

Originally Posted by fini View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]if i understand correctly, we're not talking about conflicting beliefs, or apples and oranges, which are both fruits, same category.
the AA sobriety and AVRT are different categories, nothing to compare. one is a tool, the other a "belief", if you will.
Well, AA calls itself a program of recovery. Belief in God is part of the program, but the belief aspect is just part of the entire program, or what I would call tool.

Originally Posted by fini View Post
for myself, i have come to "believe" that yes, there is such a thing as alcoholism, yes, i have it, and it doesn't have terrifically much to do with the drinking of alcohol.
Then why do you call it alcoholism??? Perhaps I'm a compulsive gambler, but I just don't know it because I don't gamble, and gambling doesn't have terrifically much to do with that particular ism either? When you replace alcohol with any other addictive substance or activity, it sounds ridiculous. Why does alcohol get awarded this superstitious, magical quality?

I think this confusing talk of teetotalers who label themselves alcoholics could be cleared up if we used more accurate language. Perhaps you are simply prone to compulsions or have an addictive nature or, like much of humanity, you are just not comfortable in your own skin. Why bring alcohol into it if by your own admission it doesn't have much to do with it?