View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
mattmathews

Originally Posted by DreamsofSerenity View Post
I really need to work the steps of Al Anon but my hyper-sensitivity and self criticism are even getting in the way there. My meeting is really large, and after it's over, everyone stands around chatting in cocktail party formation. This triggers my social anxiety BIG TIME. I know I need to hang around and get a sponsor, but I never do. I flee. Thank God for SR.
I was so blessed that in my first Al-anon group, a lady gave me a hug every time I showed up! Just a hug, but it kept me coming back. It made me feel like one person in that group cared about me.
I'm in another group now, I'm involved in service, I became a GR this year, I'm so excited about working my program! But I still see that lady every now and then and get a hug, and it still makes me feel great.
I was thinking about that recently, and it reminds me to really try and reach out to the people in my group (and I'm soooo not always comfortable with that!)
We can learn to feel better about ourselves, the program really does work! But we can do really simple things to help other people know that we care about them, and who knows when that really simple thing will be exactly what they need!?