Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne
They picked and chose what they wanted to use in their program so why can't each of us do the same?
Um...we can. I'm a huge proponent of choice. Always have been.

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne
If you think about it none of the ideas in any of the programs are new or divine revelations or anything of the nature. Almost all of it in any program is ages old stuff that people threw together in the form of a book or program.
I've echoed this sentiment in many of my posts in the last couple of years.

Originally Posted by HitRockBottom70
If it means making a fruit salad of apples and oranges then I'm gonna make it using the recipes as a starting place.
Of course, I have always done the same.

Originally Posted by HitRockBottom70
I however am not one to make my sober life conform to what someone else believes it should be.
Surely you must know you are preaching to the choir on this one. The only difference is that I don't differentiate between my "sober life" and my "life". I have "To Thine Own Self Be True" inked across my back permanently. I am not a conformist, but I do respect that there are basic tenets that hold different philosophies together. The very fact that I believe that is one of the main reasons I don't attend recovery groups. I feel it is important to embrace the basic tenets, otherwise to go and rail against them is not my place. I can go to the Catholic church with friends and it's quite a nice experience, but I'm not going to take communion because I think that's disrespectful to others given my beliefs.

I still stand by what I said. It is much like saying I am a Christian Atheist. I'm not putting a judgement on either method, or any method, but saying that you pick and choose, and saying that you practice two completely opposing ideas in their entirety are two different things.