Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 11:32 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
BackToSquareOne

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
If you study them both, I think it would be impossible to practice both simultaneously, as they are written and intended to be applied. Additionally, AVRT has at it's core many beliefs, which are the basis for it's techniques.

You know Soberlicious, that's the main reason I apply the take what works for me and leave the rest approach to almost everything. For example I like a lot of the Buddhist teachings but the rebirth, reincarnation part just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. For what happens after we die I joined the "I don't know" camp.

By the time I got around to throwing in the towel with all substances I was experiencing detoxes where suicide actually seemed like a good idea. I used a mindfulness approach where all thoughts of using anything were dismissed as irrational. In my mind I knew where it would lead so any thoughts of going back there were irrational.

I never saw any need to analyze thoughts and decide if they were addictive voice or not, I had decided to knock it off for good so what did it matter? The decision had already been made and for me that was the beginning and the end of the story.

If you think about it none of the ideas in any of the programs are new or divine revelations or anything of the nature. Almost all of it in any program is ages old stuff that people threw together in the form of a book or program. They picked and chose what they wanted to use in their program so why can't each of us do the same?