View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Into the shredder

Today, our Township had a home shredding event--everyone could bring their personal paper that needs to be shredded down to Public Works, where they would have a secure shredding company provide services.

I took 50 pounds of accumulated paper--must have been, it was three big bins or boxes and I could barely lift one of them--and dumped it all off for shredding.

Here's the cool part. A large part of that 50 pounds of paper was paperwork (bank statements, various documents) pertaining to the several years that my ex S.O. (not an alcoholic, but a person with whom I lived for six years in a very unhealthy relationship) and I owned property together. I owned it in my name, he leased if from me (for a pittance) for his business. I wound up essentially supporting what amounted to a very expensive hobby of his. We sold the property when we split up (for a nice profit, thankfully), but I've been holding onto this paper in the event of a tax audit. The time has FINALLY come when I can get rid of this crap.

There was something very cathartic and symbolic about dropping off a very unpleasant period in my life to be shredded into bits.

Just thought I'd share. A god-shredder is as therapeutic as a god-box.