Old 04-06-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
FreedomWon
Grateful Member

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
It's just life. When you turned 21, you thought back to those days when you were a teenager and thought "wow, I knew NOTHING back then". When you turned 28 you thought back to 21 and said the same thing. When you turn 38 you look back and realize your 28 year-old self didn't know jack.

As for me, I am 38 and have been sober 9 months. When someone in their first week of sobriety wants to share some tips with me, I will listen - but I also will take it with a grain of salt because they are not where I am. When someone with 20 years of sobriety wants to share some tips, I will listen - but again, grain of salt, they are not where I am.

Same goes in reverse - do you think someone with 14 years of sobriety wants to listen to ME tell THEM how this works? I'm brave, but I'm not stupid.

I find it most helpful to hang with people who got sober close to my sobriety date. Most of my feedback in AA comes from folks with 6 months - 2 years sobriety. It also helps if they are around my age and have similar backgrounds. Maybe you should hone in on finding folks in your situation. It has helped me. Good luck.
Thank you for your thoughts. I am not avoiding getting a sponsor. I am actively seeking one. In the meanwhile, there's no reason for the newly sober to seek God's anointing for a clear mind through the 12 steps on their own. It only brings us closer to God's will for our lives and being active in program.