Old 04-06-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
FreedomWon
Grateful Member

Originally Posted by Fallow View Post
As far as what the speaker said, I still find it interesting that certain people focus so much on time.

How can I be so ignorant on day 364, and so enlightened on day 366? And it happens for everyone on the same day?

I sometimes see people in AA with years under their belt and I do not want any part of what they have...

I see some others in AA and elsewhere that are exactly where I want to be. Those are the people I ask to tell me their thoughts. I follow what they say to the best of my ability.

I have a family member who is a health fanatic. He eats a great diet, he works out effectively, and achieves the goals he sets. The guy is ripped with a six pack abs. He does not drink. Every time I see him I probe him for his philosophies. I am finding a lot of parallels between the mind set he uses in fitness to what I use in sobriety. I have learned a ton from him. He was previously overweight and overcame a lot of his own mental obsessions to get where he is today.

Time only proves you know how to avoid drinking for x long. Time is not seniority.

I gravitate to people that show they know both how to stay sober and lead a happy fulfilled life. In AA or elsewhere.

How long someone has been sober is an afterthought to me.

Glad to see how enthusiastic you are!
And yes, I am enthusiastic because my life has been saved! I love the program. I love the people I meet in recovery; the gentle spirits and those less gentle who solicit their ideas with so much authority are what make everything so wonderfully interesting.

I thank you for this message. It is a blessing in my life today as I love the connection with the like-minded in and around the program.

I believe a person can have a spiritual awakening by making a conscious contact with God and I believe you and I have.

I would not suggest to anyone to do this without a sponsor, but God's been my sponsor while I peruse the steps and wait for Him to intercede with my "physical" sponsor.

Blessings and Grace be with you!