View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Frankly, I'm not sure who it was.

In order for me to realize I can't drink in moderation, I have to understand what moderation is, and why I can't have it. Is it beast to wish I had never been addicted to alcohol? Seems like I could rationally wish such an alternate reality existed. Although obviously it becomes a precursor to a subsequent (and obviously AV) thought - try drinking moderately again.
I think you've got it in the above, but IT weasels back in below.

It gets subtle and layered, but whether it is AV or not is a moot point. I have to deal with the world I woke up in this morning, and in that world I will never drink again because that is the only 100% guaranteed rational choice I have remaining to me with respect to alcohol.
"...choice I have..." or "...choice I HAD..." In other words, IT wants you to wonder ... DID you really make the choice yet?

Rational thoughts vs. Irrational thoughts are categories quite independent of My Voice vs. Addictive Voice.
Actually, "I will Never Drink Again" isn't quite as rational as it may seem at the time of making it. The purpose of the BP is to go up against the timeless Beast in a way both You and IT will feel it dying, and that forces the separation between You and IT in both thought and feeling.

You are saying "I will never drink again because ...[something/anything of your choice]."
I am saying I will never drink again NOT because of ANYTHING. I don't want IT to be able to chip away at ANY conditions to my BP - even the idea of the BP being the "only 100% guaranteed rational choice." I can hear it now. "You've been abstinent for decades. The rational choice is to just give it a try all by yourself and see if you can handle it. No one will know. You don't even remember what it felt like. Don't you at least want to find that out again?"