View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  
munchkin05

gotta keep this quick. I'm in between appts and quickly eating lunch. Just had the weirdest morning. Hubby and I found out no promotion for him so out we go, outta the military. But even weirder. I left the clinic to head out to appts when I see one organization setting up and they have water bottles. Those are always something nice to have so the lady there announces that as long as I agree to do an alcohol screening then I can have whatever I want. Now this is at the entrance of the clinic so people are passing by, walking back and forth and so on.
I said sure, at which point she asks me the first question. How often do you drink alcoholic beverages?
I said "Never"
After the whole bevy of questions I announce to her that there is a reason I can say no to all her questions. She whispered kind of to herself and somewhat to me "OH MY! You're in recovery aren't you!" I nodded with a big smile on my face and she asked excitedly then "How long have you been clean and sober???" I said 16 months! (which as of this past Wednesday I am) She announced to many of the patients and staff coming in and out "Oh my this young lady has 16 months sober! Wow! This is awesome"
And you know what. I grinned the entire time, from ear to ear all while accepting the congrats and what not. First time I have ever really had a moment like that. No embarassment, no shame. Just pride that I have (and still do) fought/fight a monster and I have 16 months of victory behind me. Approximately 420 days give or take of victories