View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paddler

alcohol gastritis...

So, gastritis is sort of a generic term - from what I understand - but it's what is making my hangovers so awful and giving me one more reason to quit. Alcohol gastritis is diagnosed to those who binge drink and have the symptoms I do.

My hangovers are to the point my stomach aches. Aches to the point I can't sleep for the wretched pain in my abdomen. Usually right under my sternum but sometimes lower. I vomit the mornings after a binge. I used to never vomit. No amount of hydration or vitamin supplements cure the hangover. It's there for days. It's full of drinking the pepto straight from the bottle - on top of endless tums. Like I said, I can't sleep for the pain at night. The lack of sleep prolongs my hangovers and really messes with my mood. Vicious cycle.

I've apparently started the process of eating violently into my stomach lining. It can't process the alcohol like it used to and the years and days on end of binges never allow or allowed it to recover. Now just a couple of day binges start the process of eating into that stomach lining... creating all of the pain associated with my hangovers.

Not just the headache... but the burning, aching, heart attack sensations that lead to the panic attacks. It's all related. And it's all my body telling me...

Enough.

The bad news is the only cure for this is time and if I continue down this path I'll ultimately have ulcers (if I don't already have a small one that can heal), permanent destruction of the stomach lining, and eventually throat or stomach cancer from the acid running rampant and working it's way up my esophagus. This is also why my tongue was white the two days after my binge... an offset in balances of the right vitamins, chemicals, and too much bacteria in my stomach.

The good news is there is a cure. Time. And, enough time will reverse the damage I've done and my body will heal.

I just wanted to post this for anyone thinking of quitting as possible motivation. And, to offer a reminder to those who did quit why they did - and motivation to stay there.