Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  
fini

1957! you young'unes!
i was two then.through no fault of my own.

okay. you say feel free to share:
guess i'm finding i'm still not entirely sure what you're actually meaning by "quality of life
and i say that partly because your mention of "quality of sobriety" throws me for a loop. what is "quality of sobriety"? really, i realized i'd not thought of it as a thing separate from quality of life. so, clearly, i'm not clear on what you mean.
what, to you, is quality of sobriety?

and then, too, i've been thinking about how i'm rather a lot like the guy you talk about in your first example: miserable at work. not because of the job itself, but because of the way we're treated by a rather bullying system and our particular "team leaders" (there are no teams.trust me on this. but it's cool language that changes every few years depending on the latest corporate attempts to pretend to change).

and i know that my life would improve in significant ways if i removed this major irritant. if i quit.
but that would add another major irritant, namely poverty-level. not smart.
and at 57 the chances for me to get another decent job in my field are very slim.
so my best option seems to me to accept the reality that important things at work suck, that it's miserable there for me, and to find ways to do an inside-job that will help me not suffer as much from this.
the temptation is always to chuck it, but that would be reckless. recklessness has its own appeal to me, however.
anyway, that example about quality of life seems different to me from the other two you described. those two seem more tied to internal stuff and perception , whereas the first one, or at least mine, to me, has real external considerations.

but now i'm all over the place again.

i did quit drinking, in a real way, because i just couldn't "be" that way any more. because i knew my quality of life would be better, my quality of "me" in my life. though on the outside nothing much has changed.

okay, well, just tossing out a mishmash your thread is provoking.