Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

I would agree folks in AA certainly in a general sense accept alcoholism as a part of their lives both in their sobriety, and while drinking, before their sobriety. My successful years with AA though did not include most members talking about the quality of their lives. They did speak about the quality of their sobriety often, about their alcoholism too, but not so much their lives as concerns quality, as I'm meaning in this thread. The program takes center stage for most AA members.

AA was never a new way of life for me, to use in place of my past drinking life. Alcoholism as an illness appeals to me, and so I accepted the AA definition, and I practice the AA program. As well, I was agnostic when I first sobered up, and AA allowed for me to learn about spiritual experiences, of my own understanding, and eventually, I became Christian in my faith, although my recovery from alcoholism is not conditional on my spiritual faith. It can be a bit complicated, but its really about me choosing to be Christian after I quit drinking, and not before. I successfully quit drinking as an agnostic.

Well, I'm glad we have collectively had this open discussion on such a subject. I'm not surprised about the results, and although I did decide to have this in the secular forum, it would have had the same results in any other forum too, I believe. As you can all imagine, in my decades of not drinking, this is not the first time I have raised a discussion of "quality of life" issues, and how they are an excellent unlimited resource for quitting drinking now, and forever, no matter what other techniques are also, or not also, used. Great feedback!

Thanks, guys. You know, this thread itself, with all its different conversations of relative interests, may be reaching its own zenith, lol. I dunno just yet. What say you all? Please feel free to share or not on the thread, as you may wish, same as always. I'm deeply grateful it was never locked. Thanks so much!!