Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
LOL Robby, while some of your descriptors of me are completely accurate, you did miss the mark in that I defy description.

I don't see any difference between talking about "everyday life" and these elusive "quality of life" issues.

Originally Posted by fini
ah, and another thought: it's "safer" to keep talking about drinking/quitting drinking issues; it's not too tough to say your life sucks when you're just getting sober or thinking about it; that's expected; but to "admit" that things aren't so great and that you're still messy after a couple of years is much harder.
talking about quitting drinking issueas is much much easier.
Well, this assumes that everyone processes the same way. It happens to be most effective for me to talk to those close to me about things in my life. I also have no problem sharing with a complete stranger about anything if it seems pertinent or germaine to the exchange. I've shared with perfect strangers about my struggles with infertility, addiction, divorce, autism... because they've asked. But here's the thing, I am smart enough to know that not everyone is the same. In fact, it is not at all helpful for some to share. Many process internally, very privately. Who am I to judge? So I can say that they are not effectively dealing with their life struggles because they aren't spilling the beans? Playing it "safe" is not a negative for many. It's how they roll. It works and they are just fine. This idea of rigorous honesty as the only way to "fully recover" is recoveryism at it's worse.