Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  
fini

i assume that most on a recovery forum want to talk about issues around quitting because that's where we're at when we first quit. and for a while after. it is the major number 1 thing for quite a while, that and either relapse or fear of/worry about/prevention of relapse.
also, it seems a lot of us think that quality of life will simply drastically and dramatically improve automatically by quitting, and so what's there to talk about?
in a certain sense, it's true: some things automatically get better when we quit.
but often, perceived quality can be worse after; ghosts and shadows not entombed anymore.

the way it is for me...i see it not as the quality of my life is better, but that I am better in my life. and those two go together, i realize.
in fact, though, i do struggle there, and am quite certain the quality could be expanded. if i were to do the necessary work.

ah, and another thought: it's "safer" to keep talking about drinking/quitting drinking issues; it's not too tough to say your life sucks when you're just getting sober or thinking about it; that's expected; but to "admit" that things aren't so great and that you're still messy after a couple of years is much harder.
talking about quitting drinking issueas is much much easier.