View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
lizatola

Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Liz, I remember you talking about this. It breaks my heart.

There's a psych term for this and I'm blanking on it. I keep thinking "adult children" but that's not right. It's when a child is expected to put her needs aside, keep the peace, not complain, and take care of herself long before it's developmentally appropriate. I'll keep trying to remember... unless someone else wants to jump in for me.

...The Hurried Child? The Rushed Child?
LOL, can't help you with that one!

My sister was outraged recently when we talked about how our parents handled things with me, as she didn't remember why I didn't go on a family vacation. At the end of her treatment, I was exposed to the chicken pox(and did get them) and that could be a severe illness for a cancer patient so my parents took my sister to MA to go whale watching and left me home alone for 4 days. My neighbor checked in on me daily, I had just turned 16 and I could not drive yet so I relied on her to get me oatmeal bath stuff, etc.

I don't even remember being angry with them. I don't even remember having any feelings at all about it. Nothing. I just did the best I could to get through it and that was it. It never occurred to me to be angry or upset or sad. I just didn't feel those feelings and I still struggle with them today.