Old 03-26-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
You are trying to take control of her recovery, her addiction and her consequences.

By giving your mother the opportunity to find her own path of recovery, or not, you are giving her the dignity to own her own choices. That includes consequences when she fails.
I agree with this above, and have taken the same stance with my own Mother. We haven't spoken in many months, because I refuse to participate in her mental illness-fueled behavior, or agree with her spins on reality. I made it clear that I couldn't have a relationship with someone who is not emotionally present.

My family has talked at great length about things to do to trick her into treatment. I am always the one pointing out her rights.

Adults have the right to do as they please until they run afoul of the laws of this country. Until then, if they want to be crazy, run around drunker than a skunk until they keel over, marry con-artists more than half their age, run naked through the woods...it is their choice and their right to self-determination.

I don't have anything against interventions - it can be a good way for the family to clearly identify their boundaries and uphold them as a united front. But don't do it thinking you are going to force her to change anything.

And get a professional to do it - someone who can speak the language of addictions.
Good luck!
~T