Old 03-26-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

Welcome and congrats for getting the ball rolling! I was lucky enough to get into a treatment center and spend 4 weeks locked up with other alcoholics and addicts. The teachings and structure there really helped. It was also scary that it had come to THAT - and I think that's why I dedicated myself 100% to sobriety. I had tried stopping on my own and it clearly didn't work. I had tried to keep alcohol in my life and clearly it had become unmanageable. For me, (I'm a "non AA" person also) AA actually did help in the early goings, the stories in particular.

I think you have to CONVINCE yourself and truly BELIEVE that quitting is the only way out. There is no way you can drink and have a meaningful life, that is the truth. But it was only after I truly BELIEVED it that I really grabbed on to sobriety and have kept it that way for almost 9 months now.

I know you said AA is not your thing - not for me either. But as I mentioned, some of the stories really helped me early on. In treatment one of the speakers was a former All-State hockey player, and went on to play in college. He was a hockey coach as an adult and a very respected guy in the community. But his alcoholism brought him down, his neighbors caught him stealing lawnmowers, snowblowers, and stereo equipment out of their garage. He was selling them on craigslist to get money for booze. He lost his family and became homeless, and hopeless.

Stories in AA really put a name and a face to this tragedy. Some of us need to be scared a bit - it spooked me sober and I've never gone back. Maybe try and go to a large meeting, you won't have to talk to anyone, can just watch, and leave after.

Good luck!