Old 03-25-2013, 02:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

The social commentary was a bit much, and detracts from the overall product. But...

I thought the video was very useful in explaining addiction in terms of what is happening inside an addicted person's brain. We receive new members here daily whose first post contains something to the effect of "what is wrong with me?" Nearly every relapser post asks that same question - "why do I repeatedly use when I know the consequences will be negative." Indeed, my chosen name here is based on me not understanding why my decision cycle was so effed up. Why was I behaving 'nonsensically'.

I was hoping it would be good for Mrs Non to see it. Unfortunately, that was not the case. When it was over she told me it made her feel hopeless - that McCauley had just explained how I would never be fully mended and always at risk of relapse. She even accused me of having her watch it to set the stage with an excuse for future bad behavior. I was totally deflated - but it may be why a wonderful documentary has not been more broadly distributed; non-addicts don't want to deal with it.