Old 03-24-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
fini

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
I have not watched the clip yet so no comments on that yet.

I believe that our addictions are rooted in the subconscious, ....
...Do you think this quirk in our reptilian brains also explains why we refer to alcohol as our "enemy" or "beast" or some kind of evil voice?...

....I wonder if that's why most recovery methods are overflowing with philosophies and concepts. On a side note I'd like to see more scientific studies conducted, published, examined, publicized, and analyzed to the nth degree.
a few things jumped out at me here: first, that i've never seen alcohol as an enemy. it's just a substance. if there is an enemy, it would be inside me. but there isn't. there's just me, and my "relationship" with alcohol. and since it's not my enemy, i don't need to fight, guard, attempt to subdue...none of these i;'ve had to do. this time. neither with alcohol, nor alcoholism. we just...coexist, so to speak.

i'm thinking about your "i believe..."sentence. because i think that what we believe about how we work is of utter importance. if i believe my addiction is caused by "beast" inside me, then that is how i'll attempt to deal with it. if i believe it is a matter of disease, i'll deal differently. what we believe about it seems crucial. and often able to supersede any experience even.
and so i'm thinking THAT'S why there's so much talk about "philosophies and concepts".
i might change my mind on this tomorrow .