Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  
Ananda

I believe we have a human mind...with it's limits and it's wonders.

Getting rid of the alchoholic cloud is only the first step. If I don't learn/expereince a new way of thinking....I am not really healing. I was miserable for many years in my first sobriety. I continued to try and sort out life. After a brief slip, I found sobriety again with the added aid of a way to sort out my human mind (for me it was buddhism, but that is not the only path).

I've come back today with a re-read of the introduction to a translation of the Lankavatara Sutra by DT Suzuki. It describes, for me, the brain functions interactions with sensory perceptions and how it can all go crazy LOL.

I believe that seeking an understanding of how I think and what my errors in thinking is help me to not only stay sober, but progress toward a life that seems to be important to me (as with any human).

I believe there is more commonality between my "different selves (alchoholic vs not drinking) and my connection to my human existance means I have more in common with my fellow humans. Yes! I am alchoholic! But much of my "suffering" is about being human....many of my fellow travelors who are not "alchoholic" suffer the same set backs and problems I do....I have the added part of alchoholism, but we are more the same then we are different.

Nands.