Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  
BackToSquareOne

I kind of view "Alcoholic Mind" as my whole thought process in my drinking/using days. Once I got used to the altered states that alcohol/drugs provided I kind of lost the ability to find joy in the simple things.

I know that some people quit drinking/using and claim that everything is peaches and cream, rainbows and sunshine. My experience was the exact opposite, I didn't even get a "pink clouid" out of the deal. My first year was an exercise in learning to accept that what is, is. All of the Buddhist stuff was a big help in rediscovering happiness and peace of mind in the ordinary. I had depression issues going into quitting which were only made worse without the crutch of alcohol/drugs so my experience probably isn't that relavent to most people.

I kind of wonder if everyone didn't have different thought processes going on in their drinking days so maybe "Alcoholic Mind" could be a very individual thing. We all started into sobriety from a different mile marker so maybe that also has a big effect on everything. Just some random thoughts.