View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DaveyT

Is this progress?

I've been taking some time lately to think about my situation, I have other threads here with those thoughts but I wanted to set one aside for a new question and see what you guys think.

Over 6 months ago I was drinking nearly every day, some weeks it was every day and it was always to excess when I did drink. Mornings and evenings my mind was filled with thoughts of drink and very often so were my veins. Over the last 6 months I've had a 3 month break where I didn't drink, then I have had lots of off and on periods. A week off and a bad 2 days, 2 weeks off and a bad day etc etc. To me this used to seem awful, and obviously I know this still isn't good for me, it needs to stop and I am working on it.

But trying to look at the positive side of things, surely this is progress. I have gone from someone who has been drinking every day for years to someone who can have significant breaks from alcohol and when I do screw up and drink again then it's for short periods (1-2 days) and then I kick myself into gear and stop again. It's not perfect, it's not great, it's not good for my haelth but I think it is a real sign of progress.

But hey I'm interested in opinions so go for it guys Be brutal.