Old 03-20-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
lizatola

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
You can make this a teachable moment for your son. Death is part of life. It's very hidden away in this country. People die in hospitals, and lots of people are adults before they ever experience someone close to them dying right where they can see it.

All any of us has is today.
Yes, we've been talking about one of the last church services where the pastor talked about heaven and got all fired up about it. It gave my son a lot of peace knowing that the man will finally have peace.

My son has had quite a few experiences with death in different ways over the past 3 years. One of his tennis friends got hit by a car while riding her bike and she died. Then 15 months ago, my dad died, my father in law died last April just a few months after my dad's death obviously. In November his friend died at 14 from leukemia and my mother in law passed away from a sudden heart attack in January. Throw in the deaths of our 2 dogs in the past 2 years, and he's been handling death pretty well. I think my dad's death was the hardest on him because he was close to my dad. Yet, seeing someone die while in your presence is a totally different story. I think he sees his dad as a hero right now and I hope that helps their relationship and maybe bring about some bonding for them.

I also think this might be a bit of a wakeup call for AH. The guy wasn't much older than him. Right now, I think AH is taking it worse than our son.