Old 03-20-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
snowbunting

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
TomSteve's answer is far from flippant. It really gets to the crux of the matter about an alcoholics' relationship with alcohol. Look at answer 2:

"there aint no fun without alcohol"

Isn't this right where you are, right now? The fear that there will be no more "fun" in your life?

And the subsequent answers..."whatever i want" in regards to what do you do for fun, Tom is just stating that because of recovery, alcohol has been taken completely out of the equation.

We can do whatever we want, without alcohol, and have fun. Sounds like a wonderful answer to me. Sorry you didn't see it that way.
Yes I see the point now, but it still seems flippant from the point of view of a *very new* recoverer who has just written a long post trying to understand the problem. To a newbie, those answers feel very far away and generalised. There'd be no point in me even making the thread if the answers were all 'I can do whatever I want'. Well of course you can, but at the start you need more detail and structure than that, and you need to coax yourself and help yourself more. Doing 'whatever you want' is not so simple when all you want is the one thing you can't have, and when you can't have it you're left thinking 'But what does that leave?' This thread is just a way to try and jog some memories of normality, which is why I put it in the 'newcomers to recovery' forum.

But I'm sorry I misread the post and all, and I do see where it's coming from. Whether they were right or not, the answers weren't in the spirit of the questions, because the questions were aimed at people who have only just quit or who haven't quit yet but want to.