Old 03-18-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
SparkleKitty

Pippi -- I can't tell you what to do, only share my own experience. Take what you like and leave the rest.

I was in a dying marriage for five years. We were roomies, barely even friends. After we separated, I dove headlong into two things: therapy, and a relationship with someone new.

I couldn't believe how good it felt to be Actively Pursued and Obviously Wanted. It was overwhelming. Was he a good guy? Relationship material? Didn't know and didn't care. What he was was There and Wanting Me. And to my friends and therapist who suggested maybe it was too soon for me to get involved with someone, I scoffed. I had felt so alone for so long that I thought it counted as being on my own.

It didn't. I was such a mess that I could not recognize what a mess I was! And this guy could have been the best guy in the world (he wasn't) -- it wouldn't have mattered. I was not the best Me in the world, and I wasn't going to be as long as I was dealing with the expectations and responsibilities that come with even the most casual of relationships. And the truth is, we attract what we are. I was a mess, and I attracted a mess. After it all imploded, I had no choice but to focus on myself and become the whole person I needed to be if I was ever going to attract another whole person.

I spent three years by myself. Then I attracted an A! I consider that relationship the shedding of my old self. I had to see if my mother's alcoholism was my fault. I did it by dating another A (sounds stupid, but there you have it). I did learn. And I got out. And then I met my now-husband.

But if I hadn't met him, I would still be okay. Because that time on my own, focusing on me, taught me that I don't have to be good enough for anyone else. I only have to be good enough for me.

All that being said, I don't actually expect you to follow my (gentle! I swear!) advice. Several of my friends have gotten divorced since I did, or left long-term relationships and I advised them all against rushing into something. Not one of them heeded my warning! And of all those relationships they rushed into, none of them worked out. Some just fizzled and some were devastating. Maybe following your heart and nether regions is just part of the process, I don't know!

So I think you're going to go for coffee with this guy no matter what anyone says, and I think that is okay. If you do, try to listen to your head and not so much your heart. Our hearts are blind and stupid, they want what they want, and as much as I'd never want to live without mine, I prefer my brain's advice any day of the week.

Good luck Pippi!