View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DryRoastJim

Originally Posted by DaveyT View Post
No sorry but it's not the same. As someone who suffers froma genuine physical problem believe me it's utterly insulting to think of alcoholism as a disease.
Alcoholism in itself may not be a disease, but it certainly can contribute to them, here are but a few:

Anemia
Cancer
Cardiovascular disease
Cirrhosis

A disease you can't fix by simply stopping a behaviour. I can't fix my physical illness by wishing it better or doing something differently. It's there, it will always be there and the only t hing that can fix it is some kind of medical discovery.
New flash! Quit drinking and you can prevent the above diseases!

Addiction is a choice. It may sneak up on us at the beginning. It snuck up on me and I never realise it was a problem. But once you recognise it as a problem the choice occurs, and my choice is to stop. If I manage to stop then my problem goes away.
Does it? Alcoholism is rarely a choice me make. Gee I think I'll become an alcoholic because well its something to do. No, usually it is a coping mechanism for something we want to bury/forget/ignore etc.

I will succeed. It may mean some failures, it may mean some troubles, but in the end I will be sober and staying that way. This is the realization I've come to.
This is the first step, acceptance. But to succeed you must accept that you are an alcoholic. To be free from alcoholism means you must quit! There are no other options.

I hope it's ok if I post my proress in the secular forums. Every time I post in the gneral forum I get AA recommended to me and it's a little wearing.
Yes! By all means post your progress, read other peoples stories, filter out what may not be right for you, but do allow what might be right for you to get through those filters!

You are at the door step of freeing yourself from this horrid condition, will you go through the door?