View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
DaveyT

Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Have you thought that both things can be true? It is a disease but it's your own fault when you drink? That's my approach.
No sorry but it's not the same. As someone who suffers froma genuine physical problem believe me it's utterly insulting to think of alcoholism as a disease.

A disease you can't fix by simply stopping a behaviour. I can't fix my physical illness by wishing it better or doing something differently. It's there, it will always be there and the only t hing that can fix it is some kind of medical discovery.

Addiction is a choice. It may sneak up on us at the beginning. It snuck up on me and I never realise it was a problem. But once you recognise it as a problem the choice occurs, and my choice is to stop. If I manage to stop then my problem goes away.

I will succeed. It may mean some failures, it may mean some troubles, but in the end I will be sober and staying that way. This is the realization I've come to.

I hope it's ok if I post my proress in the secular forums. Every time I post in the gneral forum I get AA recommended to me and it's a little wearing.