View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
pravchaw

Hi Cerene - I thought I will put my 2 cents in to support you as you did on my thread. I have a 21 yo son with marijuana addiction who I had to evict from our home due his using and associated bad behaviour.

I love my son dearly but we came to the conclusion that his addiction was harming the entire family and we were powerless over his addiction. I need to recover so I can be there for him, when he ready to work on his recovery. I don't know when that day will come but I will be there for him. However before that day comes, I look carefully at any help I give him and make a judgement call that I am not enabling his addiction.

I think you can still love your husband and not live with him and not enable him. Here is an article I found useful:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4pC...it?usp=sharing

It may be worthwhile to get counselling to figure out how much you can help in. With my son, I try to walk a fine line between "not enabling" and "not disabling". Since he is on his own he has to pay the rent and food. We pay for his phone since we want to keep in touch with him. We have also paid for his bus pass (since he had no money left over and is still trying to find a job).
However he is still using - so I am not fully sure if I should tighten down further or will it drive him to criminal activity.