Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  
bemyself

Fini, don't know if this will help you re the HP thing:

Personally, I've found it helpful to use the Buddhist concept of Big Mind. I'm not literate enough in Buddhist-speak :-) to describe it, but my understanding (and experience, through meditation) is that it's something similar to what Robby notes as Jung's 'psyche'.

Essentially - always a dangerous word, as per Robby's points about 'definitions / schmef-initions' :-) - Big Mind is simply about touching something which is much greater than our Small Minds. SM for me is kind of the crap that my 'monkey mind' comes up with a million times a day, bombarding me / us with all manner of Terribly Important Things. They flow as a river, and a very turbulent river, at that.

when we can practise observing these Terribly Important Things we of course see that they are, more often than not, just ridiculously puny things. We've simply allowed them (in small mind thinking - and the feelings that accompany it) to appear as barriers, obstacles, afflictions (indeed, Buddhism calls them 'kleshas'= afflictive emotions, generated of course by the mind, and manifesting in our bodies very often).

Another term for what appears in our usual small mind condition, which I find helpful (as a gardener) is 'mind weeds'. Any good gardener knows to keep pulling out the weeds before they choke the better, lovely plants. And who knows 'what / who' is enabling the plants - and the weeds - in a garden to grow, providing the sunlight, rain, soil organisms, etc etc? On THAT, I'm agnostic.

But Big Mind (call it Jung's universal / collective unconscious if you like, or anything else - the forces of the universe itself, etc), is always there available for us - if only we open those damn curtains Robby mentioned. Zen, I think, says: 'behind the clouds, there is always blue sky'. Some call that Blue Sky Mind.

Whatever works for me / you / us, eh?