Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Several working definitions of psyche exist relative to the field of discussion re: psychology, philosophy, and ancient or modern times. For example:

My own preferred working model is aligned with Carl Jung: "I have been compelled, in my investigations into the structure of the unconscious, to make a conceptual distinction between soul and psyche. By psyche, I understand the totality of all psychic processes, conscious as well as unconscious. By soul, on the other hand, I understand a clearly demarcated functional complex that can best be described as a "personality". (Jung, 1971)

This for me simplifies everything, and allows for me to keep my Christianity out of my addiction recovered state of being. Nice and neat. My soul is elsewhere of my psyche.

So, since my personality is not entirely of my psyche, even while within my psyche, and so to answer you, I am within the totality of my mind, my psyche, but I'm also outside of my psyche too, as a distinct personality. Outside isn't really the best word... more a different plane...

a bit awkward, eh?!

hahaha. I love paradox and impossible concepts to no end!!