View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
japabp2000

Originally Posted by Recovering2 View Post
I would suggest a full physical with his Primary Care Provider first. It may be something medical going on. If he does that, then the Provider will take it from there with regards to discussing medications, etc. I would also say that if the first therapist wasn't right for him, he can find another. We went to 2 that didn't work, the 3rd had a background in addiction medicine and has been a life saver for both my RABF and me.

IF the consensus is he needs medication, there is nothing to fear. Often times the meds just help to level out the emotions to a point where he can address the issues. He can wean off the meds as his therapy progresses. If he's one of those people who needs the medication long term, that's what it takes to lead a happy healthy life. There are people who take blood pressure medicine all their adult life due to genetic family stuff. Better to have a take a pill and have a good B/P than to risk having a heart attack or stroke...right?

Agree with others that exercise, sunshine, a healthy diet are all key......
Thanks for the reply! Yeah the therapist he went to was one that I researched online (codie alert!) for him. She was supposed to have a lot of background on addiction but she was really all about the money. I know I should do the research for him, but he never gets online. He hates computers so I always take care of that kind of stuff. I tried telling him medication is okay but he is so worried to take it. I take an antidepressant myself. I couldn't imagine not taking it. I'd be a nervous wreck.