View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
japabp2000

Originally Posted by Erika1968 View Post
Exercise!!! And lots of it. I manage my genetic chemical depression with yoga and have been able to stay off all meds. My sister tried every med in the book and ended up killing herself. Please understand I am not saying meds are bad in any way. In fact, I think they are appropriate in many cases. I just don't think they always work, and if someone is resistant to taking them, there are other things they can try first that might be as effective. The day I started yoga was the day I knew I had the chemical part of my problems under control. (It didn't cure the codependency though ).. Anyway, yoga was a miracle in my life. I don't know what would have happened to me without it. It isn't for everyone though, and men especially can have some resistance to it. Get your husband out for a long and strenuous walk in the sunshine and see if that helps him.
I'm very sorry about your sister I too have heard that exercise works wonders for depression. He's out of shape (I am too really, but I'm working on that through dieting, I do need to start an exercise regimen though). I think once the weather gets better I will see if he wants to start walking in the mornings before he goes to work and on his days off. I wish we had a gym close to where we live..but we don't.