View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DryRoastJim

Hi, my name is Jim and I am an alcoholic

I have been drinking for 30+ years and thankfully there have been no impaired, car crashes, ruined marriages (being single makes that easier I guess haha), etc.

But I can't help but wonder how much time I lost, how many relationships I have blown, how many careers opportunities I ignored, how much money I pissed away, how much damage have I done to myself etc.

I think I fall into the class of a functioning alcoholic. (well use to).

I had a good job in IT, I lost it due to downsizing.
I blew my severance package within 6 months partying.
I have so little income now that homelessness is a real possibility.
I will be declaring bankruptcy on Monday.

There is no question, I have to quit drinking.

A couple weeks ago, I did 3 days sober and much to my amazement, it wasn't that difficult. But the biggest problem was sleep, I COULD NOT SLEEP!

I want to retry quiting again. 10+ years ago, I quit for almost 3 years, the first month or so was difficult, but once I had made through it got much easier to stay sober, so I know it can be done. But this time, the insomnia is just too great, it will be the biggest factor being able to maintain sobriety.

I have read many articles on here, and I feel this board offers genuine caring and support!

Perhaps, with the help from here, will power and a well planned "reasons to not drink" format, I have a fighting chance to kick our mutual enemy once and for good.

Jim