Old 03-11-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
DMC

Interesting topic.

My divorce was final nearly 3 years ago. It was a loveless marriage for many years, and I felt more single than married for the last, oh, 5 of those years, if not more. When it was finally over, I waited a couple months and tried eHarmony. And boy, was I not ready.

One date in, with what appeared to be a normal, nice, professional guy, and I basically realized that men my age were looking for a wife, a family, and I was absolutely not. And I needed time to find myself.

Fast forward 2 years of glorious singlehood, and I was playing around on match.com. Before you actually submit a profile, you can sort of search to see if there's anyone who piques your interest. Well, lo and behold, but there's an aquaintance/friend from work. I scope him out with some coworkers who all agreed, nice guy, strong ethics, single dad with a nearly empty nest and his priorities in line. So I (a couple months later, because I am chicken, and I happen to be on a different professional level than he is, so he wouldn't likely make a move), I emailed him about coffee.

It's still early, but I've had no red flags. Really seems like a nice, decent, hardworking guy. Guess we'll see where this goes - I don't need a man, or children, or a family, so it's sort of all fun. He knows I've been burned, and wouldn't consider marriage again for a looooong time, but yet, things are progressing nicely.

I think if I hadn't been able to vet him with my colleagues, I would be a *lot* more skittish. Online dating scares the crap out of me. But when the former cop who has always told me I needed to get a background check on any guy I dated gave her full approval, well, I guess it helps to have friends who are cops. Guess we'll see what happens!