View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SoaringSpirits

Originally Posted by lizatola View Post
The best one he gave me was that I 'will be very lonely in my next relationship unless it's with a hyper damaged codependent woman'. Soooo, I guess I'm turning into a lesbian? Hmm, who knew?

Sometimes I want to laugh. Sometimes I want to cry. The stuff he comes up with is obviously well thought out and delivered so professionally. It's like he's trying to make a career out of it and I just sit there and usually have no response because it's too insane to respond to!
My counselor gave me some very helpful advice about dealing with the quacking. She said it was an attempt by AH to engage me, and that I needed to keep working on detaching and not letting him have power over me by eliciting a reaction. She had me sit down and write out some pat, non-engaging responses to have ready, no longer than a few words. It really works. Here are a few examples:

"Nice try"
"OK"
"Interesting..."
"Who knows"
"Imagine that!"
"Who knew?"
"Is that the time? Wow, I must go..."

So your answer to the lesbian jab might be "Nice try!" and then you walk away and go do something meaningful. I find the weird conversations that seem to start with his quacking just never get off the ground, because I don't engage, I don't defend, I just muse "Who knew!" and walk away.